1. Forum VietMBA đã được nâng cấp lên version mới. Mọi thông tin, báo lỗi và góp ý xin vui lòng post tại topic ⚠ Thông báo nâng cấp forum và danh sách các vấn đề phát sinh.

Self-assessment

Discussion in 'Hồ sơ' started by jubnov, Oct 24, 2009.

1. baoanh

baoanh Member MBA Family

Current city/country:
    Hồ Chí Minh
    Current employer/school:
    Masso Group
    Undergrad major:
    Foreign Trade University, HCM
    MBA (intent) major/School:
    General/Consulting
    Now, Discover your strengths

Dùng self assessment để làm career planning sẽ gặp một câu hỏi rất khoai: Điểm mạnh của mình là gì? Mình đã đọc Now, Discover your strengths (2001) và StrengthsFinder 2.0 (2007), dưới đây là bản Summary của 3 chương đầu tiên cuốn Now, Discover ...

1. Vì sao chỉ tóm tắt ba chương? Vì ba chương này rất rất quan trọng, sau khi đọc xong, bạn phải làm homework rồi mới nên đọc tiếp và tiếp thu tiếp 4 chương còn lại của cuốn sách.
    2. Vì sao chỉ tóm tắt Now, Discover ...? Vì StrengthsFinder 2.0 nói một cách đơn giản và gọn là bản upgrade của Now, Discover ..., sách focus nhiều vào việc sau khi bạn đã tìm thấy talents của bản thân mình. Nên cũng giống như (1), bạn phải làm homework sau ba chương quan trọng ở Now, Discover ... đã.
    3. Để dễ theo dõi, đây là Table of Contents của cuốn sách:

NOW, DISCOVER YOUR STRENGTHS

Introduction—The Strengths Revolution at Work
    Part I - The Anatomy of a Strength
    Chapter I - Strong lives
    Chapter 2 - Strength Building

Part II - Discover the Source of Your Strengths
    Chapter 3 - StrengthsFinder
    Chapter 4 - The Thirty-four Themes of StrengthsFinder

Part III - Put Strengths to Work
    Chapter 5 - The Questions You're Asking
    Chapter 6 - Managing Strengths
    Chapter 7 - Building a Strengths-based Organization

Appendix: A Technical Report on StrengthsFinder

Lưu ý:
    1. Mình không paraphrase, mà copy key sentences của cuốn sách, dù hơi dài một chút nhưng đảm bảo được yếu tố original.
    2. Mình sẽ chia ba chương thành ba post cho dễ đọc

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  2. baoanh

baoanh Member MBA Family

Current city/country:
    Hồ Chí Minh
    Current employer/school:
    Masso Group
    Undergrad major:
    General/Consulting
    Now, Discover your strengths - Part I

NOW, DISCOVER YOUR STRENGTHS SUMMARY

Introduction—The Strengths Revolution at Work
    Part I - The Anatomy of a Strength

A. Chapter I - Strong lives:

I. What does a strong life look like? "If there is any difference between you and me, it may simply be that I get up every day and have a chance to do what I love to do, every day." (Warren Buffet). What makes Buffett special: (1) he became aware of the distinct ways he responds to the world around him and (2) he identified its strongest threads, wove in education and experience, and built them into the dominating strengths we see today.

II. What is a strength?
    1. Strength is consistent near perfect performance in an activity.
    2. Three of the most important principles of living a strong life: (1) The ability is a strength only if you can fathom yourself doing it repeatedly, happily, and successfully. (2) You do not have to have strength in every aspect of your role in order to excel. (3) You will excel only by maximizing your strengths, never by fixing your weaknesses.

III. Three Revolutionary Tools - "What do you need to build your life around your strengths?"
    1. Understand how to distinguish your natural talents from things you can learn. Talents are your naturally recurring patterns of thought, feeling, or behavior. Knowledge consists of the facts and lessons learned. Skills are the steps of an activity. These three—talents, knowledge, and skills—combine to create your strengths. Your talents are innate, whereas skills and knowledge can be acquired through learning and practice

2. A system to identify your dominant talents:
    i. One sure way to identify your greatest potential for strength: Step back and watch yourself for a while. Try an activity and see how quickly you pick it up, how quickly you skip steps in the learning and add twists and kinks you haven't been taught yet, whether you become absorbed in the activity to such an extent that you lose track of time. If none of these has happened after a couple of months, try another activity and watch—and another.
    ii. The StrengthsFinder Profile is designed to reveal your five strongest themes of talent. These themes may not be strengths yet.

3. A common language to describe your talents: We need a new language to help explain the strengths we see in ourselves and others.

3. baoanh

baoanh Member MBA Family

Current city/country:
    Hồ Chí Minh
    Current employer/school:
    Masso Group
    Undergrad major:
    General/Consulting
    Now, Discover your strengths - Part II

B. Chapter 2 - Strength Building:

I. What can we learn about strengths from Colin Powell?

II. Knowledge and Skills - "Which aspects of you can you change?"
    1. Knowledge: For the purposes of building your strengths, there are two distinct kinds of knowledge: (1) factual knowledge, which is content and (2) experiential, which isn't taught in classrooms or found in manuals; some of it is practical, some more conceptual.

2. Skills:
    i. Skills bring structure to experiential knowledge: all the accumulated knowledge into a sequence of steps that, if followed, will lead to performance
    ii. Skills obscure their two flaws: (1) while skills will help you perform, they will not help you excel. Without underlying talent, learning a skill is a survival technique, not a path to glory and (2) some activities, almost by definition, defy being broken down into steps. Take empathy, for example.

3. Talent - "Which aspects of you are enduring?":
    i. What is talent? Talent is any recurring pattern of thought, feeling, or behavior that can be productively applied.

ii. Why are your talents enduring and unique?
    - Your recurring patterns are created by the connections in your brain and beyond a certain age you are not going to be able to stitch a completely new design—your talents are enduring.
    - A synapse is a connection between two brain cells that enables the cells (also called neurons) to communicate with one another. Put more plainly, your synapses create your talents.

iii. Why are your talents so important to strength building?
    - The acid test of a strength is that you can do it consistently and nearly perfectly. By defining your talents as your strongest synaptic connections, we can now see why it is impossible to build a strength without underlying talent.
    - Every day at work you have decisions to make. Our concern here is not with the major decisions but with the thousands of small decisions that confront you throughout the day. Unable to intellectualize every minute decision, you are compelled to react instinctively. Your talents, your strongest synaptic connections, made almost every one of thousands of dicisions per day. That explains why it is virtually impossible to create near perfect performance by simply teaching someone a new skill. Skills determine if you can do something, whereas talents reveal something more important: how well and how often you do it.
    - Although learning through repetition may result in a few new connections, it will not help you create any new strongest synaptic connections. The danger of repetitive training without underlying talent is that you burn out before you net any improvement.

4. baoanh

baoanh Member MBA Family

Current city/country:
    Hồ Chí Minh
    Current employer/school:
    Masso Group
    Undergrad major:
    General/Consulting
    Now, Discover your strengths - Part II, Chapter 3

Part II: Discover the Source of Your Strengths

C. Chapter 3: StrengthsFinder:

I. The Traces of Talent - "How can you identify your own talents?"
    1. Spontaneous reactions, yearnings, rapid learning, and satisfactions will all help you detect the traces of your talents.

2. Monitor your spontaneous, top-of-mind reactions to the situations you encounter.
    3. Yearnings (particularly when they are felt early in life). Of course, you can occasionally be derailed by what one might call a "misyearning," such as yearning to be in public relations because of the imagined glamour of cocktail parties and receptions or aspiring to be a manager because of a need to control. (Obviously, the best way to diagnose a misyearning is to interview an incumbent in the role and learn what the day-to-day realities of the role are really like once the blush has left the rose.)

4. Rapid learning: Whether the skill is, if you learned it rapidly, you should look deeper.
    5. Satisfactions: If it feels good when you perform an activity, chances are that you are using a talent. You should pay close attention to the situations that seem to bring you satisfaction. How can you identify your sources of satisfaction? There is a tip: When you are performing a particular activity, try to isolate the tense you are thinking in. If all you are thinking about is the present-"When will this be over?"-more than likely you are not using a talent. But if you find yourself thinking in the future, if you find yourself actually anticipating the activity-"When can I do this again?"-it is a pretty good sign that you are enjoying it and that one of your talents is in play.

II. The StrengthsFinder Profile - "How does it work, and how do I complete it?"

1. How Does It Work?
    i. The best way to pinpoint your talents: to monitor your behavior and your feelings over an extended period of time, paying particular attention to the clues we described above. It would be hard for any profile or questionnaire to compete with this kind of focused analysis.

ii. StrengthsFinder Profile presents you with pairs of statements, captures your choices, sorts them, and reflects back your most dominant patterns of behavior, thereby highlighting where you have the greatest potential for real strength. StrengthsFinder Profile give you two choices (paired statements). Most statement pairs are not opposites. After each pair of statements flashes on the screen, you will have twenty seconds to respond. More information about Strengsfinder: http://strengths.gallup.com/110440/A...Finder-20.aspx General FAQs, How to do StrengthsFinder 2.0 assessment? …

D. Chapter 4: The Thirty-four Themes of StrengthsFinder
    Part III: Put Strengths to Work
    E. Chapter 5: The Questions You're Asking
    F. Chapter 6: Managing Strengths
    G. Chapter 7: Building a Strengths-based Organization
    H. Appendix: A Technical Report on StrengthsFinderc

5. nvha

nvha Active Member MBA Family

Current city/country:
    HCMC, Vietnam
    Current employer/school:
    VSI
    Undergrad major:
    N/a
    N/a
    Xem đoạn phim này ( Phút 67 ) lai nhớ đến chi tiết rửa chén mà bạn trẻ Bảo Anh đã đề cập ở bài viết trên khi xưa: ( Homeless to Harvard Movie )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGe3u5rLGQc